"A Day at CUHK in the 21st Century," Lolitta HO Yan Yee (School of Business Administration, year 2)

  Lolitta from the School of Business Administration picked an interesting angle to share one of "her" days at CUHK in the C21, an angle that no other has ever tried.

  ****************************************************************************

  I flapped my feathers, taking advantage of a strong gust of wind to soar up even higher.

  I am a bird, a Grey Heron, or an Ardea cinerea, and I was happily flying around in the air. As I flew, I warily scouted the surrounding environment for any sign of fish, which could serve as food. Were there any fish whereabouts?

  High above in the air, I flew past the CUHK college entrance, all the while enjoying the lush scenery around me. The entrance had some words that I could not read (I am a bird, remember) but which could barely be made out by the dimming sunlight.

  As I flew, I remained on the lookout for any predators that might suddenly appear in the air. Instead, I could only see a green canopy of trees, intertwined with buildings of various shapes and sizes.

  Below me, I could see the lotus pond of the CUHK campus, beckoning enticingly to me. Its crystal-clear water gleamed in the fading light of the sun, beckoning invitingly to me, as if inviting me to rest there.

  Just as well, I thought. There would be a lot of fish here. I was a little tired, having scouted the entire area for fish to feed on – and found none.

  All around me was a panorama of beauty and loveliness. But these things, like the Chinese University's 50-year history, had nothing to do with me. As part of my quest to search for food, I set off on a journey near the pond.

  In front of me, the Yasumoto International Academic Park building, with its brand-new architecture, gleamed in the sunlight. The building, with its double entrances, blended in with the lush vegetation of the surrounding countryside.

  In front of me, I could see a group of students stood huddled in a circle, chattering amongst them. They were apparently a group of architecture students and had been assigned to study this building. They had in their hands a questionnaire they obviously were supposed to complete.

  "Hmm. This is interesting. This question asks us about an architectural element in this building." A girl said as she wrinkled her brow over the question.

  "Suppose we write about the Grand Staircase?" Another suggested.

  "Okay." The original asker agreed, and bent her head over the survey as she did what he had suggested.

  They didn't ask me, but privately I agree with them. The Grand Staircase was an architectural marvel and was the main feature of the Yasumoto International Academic Park. All around me, I saw – with my multifaceted bird's eyes – ultra-modern tiles and bricks.

  Since the staircase is out in the open, I saw many CUHK students walking on the Grand Staircase on their way to or leaving their different classrooms. I didn't know it then, but the Yasumoto International Academic Park was named after Dr Yasumoto, a Japanese entrepreneur and philanthropist, who had made a generous donation to the CUHK.

  It was an interesting scene, but it didn't concern me (and besides, my main area of interest was fish, not students). It was getting late, and I was getting a bit tired. The sun was setting over the picturesque Shatin campus, and I knew it was time to fly home.

  I flapped my wings and headed in the direction of my nest.
"A Day at CUHK in the 21st Century," Lolitta HO Yan Yee (School of Business Administration, year 2) "A Day at CUHK in the 21st Century," Lolitta HO Yan Yee (School of Business Administration, year 2) Reviewed by 書寫力量 The Power of Words on 6月 04, 2013 Rating: 5

沒有留言:

技術提供:Blogger.